It Turned Out Sweet

by GfG on December 12, 2008 · 9 comments

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Pin It Share 0 Email -- Google+ 0 0 Flares ×

I’ve always heard women talk about what wonderful times they have with their children & friends during the holidays doing one specific activity. I would smile on the outside, but cringe on the inside. There was no way I was attempting the endeavor: making and decorating Christmas cookies.

It may sound innocent enough to you. It may actually sound completely innocent and charming. But I’ve made sugar cookies before. Thirteen years ago. I thought that it was the right thing to do with our, then, (sorta)foster son. What could I do to give him a beautiful Christmas memory? Oooohh, we’ll make sugar cookies together.

Well, hours later, we were both exhausted. My kitchen was in shambles. The cookies were cute (hands bent in the “I love you” shape in sign language), but they certainly didn’t look as stunning as they should to balance out the effort. We didn’t even ice them, for Pete’s sake! That would have pushed us both over the edge. Daniel thanked me and hugged me. Then he passed out. I crossed that off my list. Gladly.

So… when a sweet, new, young friend asked me if I might want to decorate cookies with the kids (she has a 5yo, a 4y, a 1yo and is expecting in Feb), it was Christ in me that said yes. It was not me. It was Him. Well, I did want to fellowship with her, so that part of me gave a resounding yes. The rest of me said, “What did you just commit to??? Are you out of your ever lovin’ mind? Not only did that almost put you into misery when you attempted it last, but this time you’re adding preschoolers to the mix!! And icing!!”

Then this friend, Charlsie, asked if I might want to invite anyone else… (inside: “Aaahhh!!! More little kids?! More blasted cookies to make??!”)… “Sure, who would you like to get to know?”

She then requested another mom from the homeschool group.Β That sounded really fun, but I was still imagining me in the kitchen making the cookies. I was starting to break out in hives, so I decided to be honest. “Um… this sounds like [it could remotely be]fun, but I really don’t make roll out cookies. I’ve had a bad experience. Do you think I could gather the toppings and you two could make the cookies?”

They went for it. I’m so grateful…

…because it was such a fun time today. My friends arrived with loads of cookies (sugar and gingerbread). I provided the setting, plates, drinks, some icing (OK, a ton of icing), 4 large containers of sprinkles, and mini M&Ms. It was obvious my thoughtful friends were concerned about my traumatic experience and how it might affect today’s fun becausee they also brought plenty of toppings.

We paired the older girls up with a pre-schooler each and let them at it.

They loved every sprinkle of fun. And so did I.

The part that had the moms giggling was the difference between the decorating styles. It was very obvious which family does this every year & have detailed ways of decorating and which families were simply basking in the opportunity to douse food in sugar and color (and had younger children, just to clarify!).

I submit these examples for your review. I’m sure you can guess which cookies my children did.

(My kiddos encourage you to click on the photos [especially the one with all the cookies in it] to really see the details on the cookies.)

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Pin It Share 0 Email -- Google+ 0 0 Flares ×

Best Life December 12, 2008 at 6:58 pm

Oh my! I really didn’t realize you were so traumatized. I just thought you didn’t want to bake cookies. Funny.

Ok, I have a kid funny for you. As we were leaving, Princess was going up to all of my kids BEGGING for a hug goodbye. So when it was my turn I said, “Me?” with my arms open wide. She gave me a strange look and said, “Mmmmmm…..nah.” LOL!

(just so ya know, I forced a hug on her anyway!)

Grateful for Grace December 12, 2008 at 7:03 pm

Oh!! That’s hilarious! I can totally picture her doing that, too. I’m glad you forced the hug.

Yes, you and Charlsie have helped me get past my previous sugar cookie experience.

love ya!

MikeandCharlsie December 12, 2008 at 7:44 pm

Ok you had me lol! I had no idea you were feeling that way inside! Great masking of the feelings πŸ˜‰ I am glad you overcame your past experience and agreed to do decorate cookies with us! Oh and for the record I agree with Lisa, we need to do it again next year!

P.S.He loves you.. December 13, 2008 at 8:48 am

Glad you stepped out of your shell, I know my kids look forward to doing this with cousins every year..and it’s always fun!

YAY you!

cajungal01 December 13, 2008 at 9:22 am

It sounds like SO much fun and I LOVE the cookies! (even the ones that would look the same as my kiddos’!) We actually make cookies every Christmas eve but just circle ones they decorate. I hope one day my kids want to take the time to make them pretty. :0)
It really looks like fun!
:0)
love ya!

Beach December 13, 2008 at 12:45 pm

You are just too cute and funny…..I can just picture you trying not to let on to your level of traumatization (is that even a word LOL). Sounds like a blast! We do this every year! This year we gave them to one of KK’s friends and to Sharra as a thank you gift. Ours look like your families every year πŸ˜‰
Hugs, πŸ™‚ Heather S.

froggymama December 13, 2008 at 6:19 pm

You are cracking me up…Those cookies look YUMMY πŸ™‚ Guess I need to get the gingerbread cookies up and going around here…or maybe not, ha!

Amanda December 14, 2008 at 2:45 am

That’s so fun. At Happy Hill we made ginger bread houses and my friend Sarah made this huge Victorian but then she went to put the last gum drop on and it all collapsed! Her Victorian was renovated into a starter home.

That’s really cool that you do that kind of stuff with your family. It’s really the little things like building ginger bread houses or petting the horses that bring back the best memories from the farm. I think if my family did more of the little things we’d be a lot closer.

I think it’s amazing that you’re family is so tight knit and you do take time to do the little things like decorate cookies. I promise you Little Phoebe will remember things like that when she’s my age and love you for it.

mideastmom December 14, 2008 at 4:12 am

Hi, my name is Cara, and I’m a cookie-decorating-phobe. May I join your group? I’d really like to recover.

Maybe it’s preschoolers? Maybe it would be a lot better if I tried again now with more school-aged kiddos?

My problem is that, along with cake decorating, my mil had elaborate cookie decorating rituals, ones that I think I’m a little scarred from having tried to live up to our first couple of years with kids.

You’ve inspired me to try again, though (to my credit, we still have always done gingerbread men every year, just not sugar cookies). Now, if only I could get someone else to bake the cookies for me…